Lymph fluid makes it's way throughout the system and transports the harmful substances to the nodes and then through detoxification pathways in the body.
The elimination of toxins is just one important role of the lymph system as a whole. However the lymph nodes are also one place where important immune system substances, such as Natural Killer Cells, are created. What can you do to prevent natural killer cells from developing?
1. Practice Skin Brushing and lymphatic massage. This article on lymph system health can provide more details on these powerful Ayurvedic healing modalities. Dry brushing has been shown to boost circulation, sweep away dead skin cells, stimulate the lymph nodes, improve digestion, improve the appearance of cellulite, and help the cells and body in general remove waste.
2. Use only all natural deodorants. Stay away from antiperspirants that use metalloestrogens like aluminum. Aluminum is the active ingredient found in most antiperspirants, this is what prevents sweating in the underarm area. How does it work? Aluminum ions from the aluminum salts that are active in the antiperspirant are absorbed into the cells that line the sweat ducts, which leads the ducts to swell and squeezes them closed. This also may be a contributing factor in the development of breast cancer. Most cancerous tissues develop in the upper and outer part of the breast - closest to the armpit. Research has suggested that aluminum compounds absorbed by the skin may cause changes in the estrogen receptors of breast cells. Also this sensitive skin is prone to dryness and irritation, especially if you also choose to shave.
3. Consider alternatives to mammography, which may damage the lymph area through excessive pressure and radiation exposure. Thermography and breast self-exam are two great options.
4. Drink plenty of filtered water every day. Your lymphatic system is primarily composed of water and it must be hydrated to function at the highest potential. Drinking purified water and water with antioxidant extracts such as lemon water are an excellent detoxification strategy to push toxins from the body.
5. Learn about EFT or "tapping," and commit to doing just 5 to 10 minutes every day. Tapping not only reduces stress; it also helps promote the flow of lymphatic fluids. Other benefits of EFT include releasing anxiety and negative emotions, relieving physical & emotional pain, reducing food cravings and addictions, improving focus and performance, calming the body and mindand it brings about forgiveness, gratitude and joy.
6. If you are suffering from lymphedema already, consider using a pneumatic pump or compression chamber for the arms or legs. There are several quality machines on the market and many are covered by insurance.
7. Most importantly, take the time to move your body every day in whatever way you can. Gently walking, dancing or rebounding for 20 to 30 minutes a day are all excellent − and fun as well!
The lymphatic system is the "tree of life" it is necessary to maintain health throughout your entire body and makes life and healing possible. Small efforts such as the 7 steps outlined above combined with eating whole organic food and drinking pure water can greatly affect the efficiency of your lymph system, and in turn will protect and defend your entire body and help tremendously with your breast health.
If you have not already liked us on Facebook for more health information.